Meet Elderberry and Elderflower, Nature’s Immune-Boosting DuoBy Dr Dunner December 07, 2018
The Elder tree sprouts clusters of dark blue berries and cream-white flowers. Without either the berry or the flower, the Elder tree wouldn’t be as powerful as it is. That’s why at Dr.Dünner, we don’t make any Elderberry product without also maximizing the power of Elderflower. These ingredients work together harmoniously in nature; we believe they should work together harmoniously for your health, too. Elderberry and Elderflower work together in tandem more powerfully than either ingredient can alone.
We use the European Elderberry, native to Europe and most potent for purposes of human supplementation. After our expert herbalists blend Elderberry to perfection, the supplement form is called Sambucol. That’s how our timeless favorites Sambu, Sambu Guard, and Sambu Guard for Kids got their names!
Hippocrates, known as the father of medicine, called the elder plant nature’s “medicine chest” because of the vast utility of its products. Today, the prestige of Elder in herbal medicine still stands. Modern scientific research has validated long-held beliefs of elderberry as treatment for immune challenges and inflammation.
Here’s 5 ways that Elder supports immune health all year long:
Reduces Duration of Immune Challenges
A number of randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studies have shown Elderberry and Elderflower to shorten the duration of immune challenges:
- A flu season study in Norway found that participants who took Elderberry experienced relief from flu symptoms 4 days earlier, on average, than their counterparts in the placebo group. Use of intense “rescue medication” was significantly reduced among the Elderberry group.
- A different study found that Sambucol diminished the duration of participants’ flu symptoms to just 3-4 days.
- Yet another study showed Sambucol to be effective in vitro against 10 strains of influenza virus.
- In another double-blind study, 93.3% of participants taking an Elderberry supplement reported noticeable improvement in influenza symptoms within 2 days, compared to the 6 days that it took for the placebo group to report improvement.
- In clinical trials, a combination of Elderberry and Echinacea was as effective as the conventional medicine oseltamivir for treating influenza early. Does the effective combination of Elderberry and Echinacea sound familiar? That’s because those are two key ingredients in our powerful immune blend Sambu Guard!
Stabilizes health during travel
One clinical trial specifically tested Elderberry’s ability to kick that pesky “traveler’s cough” among airline travelers. Over 300 overseas travelers took either an Elderberry supplement or a placebo pill, then recorded their upper respiratory symptoms before and after travel. The placebo group experienced more cold episodes, a longer duration of cold days, and self-reported a significantly higher score of their symptoms (583 vs. 247). The study’s authors concluded that Elderberry “stabilizes” physical health from before travel through four days post-travel, whereas placebo participants’ health declined overall following overseas travel.
Works as an antiviral agent
Clinical studies have shown Elder products to display antiviral and antibacterial properties. Elder is a good source of hemagglutinin protein, which has been scientifically shown to inhibit a virus’ replication. This protein source stops a virus from penetrating the walls of your cells. Taking an Elder supplement before being exposed to infection can therefore boost your body’s resistance to infection.
Modulates inflammation response
The body produces cytokines to activate the body’s immune responses, including inflammation. A clinical trial observed that Sambucol boosted patients’ healthy cytokine levels by a factor of 2 at minimum and 45 at maximum, leading the authors to conclude that “Sambucol formulations activate the healthy immune system.” Another study has found both Elderberry and Elderflower to inhibit production of nitric oxide, thereby promising “therapeutic value in inflammatory diseases.”
Contains antioxidants to maintain healthy cells
Elderberries’ rich blue or purple color is due to an abundance of anthocyanins, antioxidants that fight free radicals (which otherwise damage tissue and contribute to aging). Elder is also a great source of flavonoids, plant compounds with myriad health benefits — from reducing disease risk to healing oxidative stress. Studies have confirmed that elderflower beverages “should be recommended as a source of phenolics [healthy plant compounds, like antioxidants] in human diet.”
For your dose of Elderberry and Elderflower, check out our Immune offerings!